Help us grow this project…
We are seeking historic photographs, film, and video of railroads, railroaders, railroad stations and infrastructure, railroad ephemera (timetables, manuals, posters, publicity flyers, business records, etc) for the Washington, D.C. area. If you have materials you wish to donate, you may mail them to us at the address on our contact page. Along with the materials, we ask you to fill out a deed of gift form, which will provide us a permanent record of ownership. We will in return provide you with a letter for tax purposes. DCNRHS is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization. Gifts to DCNRHS are tax-deductible to the maximum extent permitted under the internal revenue code.
We have a place on our volunteer team for you! We are seeking
- Stenographers/transcribers to listen to audio and video tapes and produce written transcripts of the histories.
- Contributors of vintage digitzed videos (film may be accepted but is not preferred) of Washington, D.C. area railroading prior to 1988. We can take analog formats and VHS, S-VHS, Hi-8, and DV and analog formats. Send us an e-mail and let us know what material you have and what formats it is in. We can then make a best determination of how to proceed.
- Scanners to help us catalog, digitize, and archive materials for on-line presentation (we can train).
- Computer and tech saavy individuals to help us set up the on-line systems and populate them with content.
- Videographers to help us record the oral histories.
- Interpreters to conduct the oral history interviews.
Were you (are you) a railroader in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area? We want to talk with you, and maybe interview you. Whether you were a machinist, ticket agent, car cleaner, engineer, manager conductor, brakeman, trackman, or an employee of the Washigton Terminal Company, PRR, Southern, Chesapeake & Ohio, B&O, East Washington Railway, ACL, SAL, SCL, RF&P, Pullman Company, Railway Mail Service, Railway Express Agency, Fruit Growers Express, Chessie System, or one of the Streetcar Companies, your knowledge and stories are valuable. An oral or video record capturing events from your time on the railroad will leave a lasting educational impact for generations. Contact us to learn more or let us know of your interest.
Your gift in any amount in support of the Washington Terminal Project will help us continue the program and incorporate new content and materials. As the National Railway Historical Society, Washington, D.C. Chapter, Inc. is a not-for-profit 501(c)(3) organization, your gift is tax dediuctible to the maximum extent permitted under the internal revenue code. A tax letter will be provided for all donations over $25.00. To support the project today:
- You may mail your gift payable to "NRHS, Washingotn, D.C. Chapter, Inc." to P. O. Box 230, Savage, MD 20763.
- You may give on-line using the paypal form below